Peru ace Guerrero cleared to play World Cup

The 36-year-old striker has been allowed to feature at Russia 2018 after making a last-ditch appeal

Paolo Guerrero will be able to feature at World Cup 2018 after the Swiss Federal Court agreed to suspend a drugs ban lingering over him.

The 34-year-old striker had tested positive for cocaine metabolite benzoylecgonine following a World Cup qualifier against Argentina in October 2017, leading to FIFA banning him for six months.

However, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) launched a successful bid to extend his suspension to 14 months, meaning that he had been expected to miss the competition in Russia.

He appealed the decision, having previously received the support of Hugo Lloris, Simon Kjaer and Mile Jedinak, the captains of Peru’s World Cup rivals.

On Thursday, the Peruvian FA revealed that there will be a further appeal to the Swiss Federal Court, which will, at the least, delay any suspension until after the World Cup has taken place.

A statement from CAS reads: “The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has been informed of the appeal and the urgent request for the sanction presented by the Peruvian soccer player Paolo Guerrero before the Swiss Federal Court (TFS).

“The appeal is directed against the decision of the CAS, which partially accepted the appeal filed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) against the decision issues by the FIFA Appeals Committee on December 20, 2017, under which the suspension of Mr Guerrero was extended from six to 14 months.

“Mr Guerrero submitted an urgent request for the suspension of the execution of that sanction in order to participate in the next FIFA World Cup in Russia.”

The TFS has upheld this request, allowing the Flamengo player to feature in Russia.

NAIJAXTREME, MD, USA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Next Post

Buhari govt gives update on Nigeria’s 2018 economic outlook

Fri Jun 1 , 2018
Sen. Udoma Udo Udoma, Minister of Budget and National Planning has stated that Nigeria’s economic outlook for 2018 and over the medium term is very positive. Udoma said this in a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media, Mr Akpandem James on Thursday. James said the minister gave the […]