A police officer and his family have been reported dead after after eating a dish of jute soup, (and known among the Yoruba of Southwest Nigeria as ewedu and called rama in Southern Kaduna), before going to bed in Dushai village, Kaura LGA of Kaduna State
The family of five, including an unborn baby, as well as two dogs, perished.
The dead were identified as ex-police inspector, Peter Dauda, 43, his expectant 35-year-old wife, Dorothy, nine-year-old son, Godwin and six-year-old daughter, Patience.
Narrating the sad incident, President of Dushai Community Development Association, Mr. Daniel Duniya Bosan said;
“The family had prepared and eaten the jute leaves in the evening of Wednesday, September 6, 2017 and went to bed without any problem.
But the remaining leaves were spread on a container and preserved for consumption the following day. Trouble started on Thursday, September 7, shortly after they had eaten the vegetable soup.
All the family members started complaining of stomach aches the following day, which was Friday, and neighbours rushed them to nearby hospital. The jute leaves was suspected to have been laced with a poisonous substance by unknown persons.”