Work and Holiday Visa: Everything You Should Know

Surely if you have thought about traveling or even working abroad you have heard about it, however, you may not know exactly what a Work and Holiday Visa is and how you can benefit from it.

To “open your mouth” we will tell you that this visa allows you to travel and work in other countries for a year or study for 4 months in one of the assigned countries.

In this article we are going to explain what a Work and Holiday Visa is, its requirements and everything you need to get one if you are thinking of working or studying abroad for a while.

Pack your bags and we’re leaving!

Which countries offer a Work and Holiday Visa?

The list of countries that offer the Work and Holiday Visa are:

  • Germany
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • South Korea
  • Denmark
  • France
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Sweden
  • Norway
  • Ireland
  • Japan

Ireland and New Zealand offer very few places and it is not easy to get a visa in these places.

Everything depends largely on the country of origin, as a general rule Europeans have greater privileges to access this type of visa.

It is important to clarify that this visa allows you to enter and leave a country as many times as you want. But if you decide to go on Christmas vacation to your home country (for example), the time still counts as if you were in the destination country. (So ​​take advantage and tell your family to come see you).

Necessary requirements to have a Work and Holiday Visa

The requirements may vary depending on the destination country, but as a general rule they are as follows:

  • Be between 18 and 35 years old at the time of submitting the application (May vary by country).
  • Have a level of English (with certificate included).
  • Have a valid passport and no criminal record.
  • Not having used the same visa previously.
  • Have a letter from the Government.
  • Have savings (Normally a minimum of $3,750).
  • You cannot have used this visa before.

What if you don’t meet the requirements?

If you want to travel to Australia, for example, you have other types of visas that can help you do the same:

  • Visitor Visa: It is a visa only for travel and has a maximum duration of 90 days.
  • Student Visa: This visa allows you to study or work a maximum of 20 hours a week and lasts from 3 months to a year.

When can you request it?

It all depends on the country where you want to travel.

If it is a country that has unlimited quotas, you can request it at any time. On the other hand, if the country where you want to travel has limited places, as is the case with New Zealand, you should check the opening date and cross your fingers.

Frequent questions

Below we are going to answer some of the most frequently asked questions that we receive.

What can I do with a Work and Holiday Visa?

You will have permission to work and study for up to a maximum of 12 months. You can only do so in the country where you have applied for the visa. If you want to do it in the neighboring country, for example, you will have to apply for a new Work and Holiday Visa.

Are they looking for work for me?

No. The destination country only offers you the visa that gives you the right to work there. The rest (Job, accommodation, mode of transportation, etc…), you will have to find on your own.

Is it possible to save in these countries by enjoying a Work and Holiday Visa?

It all depends on what you mean by saving and your level of expenses.

In Australia, for example, salaries are very generous, but it is true that the standard of living there is also more expensive, so you will have to limit your leisure activities if you want to save and enjoy your savings in your country of origin.

Is it easy to get?

It depends on where you want to go. Germany or France have unlimited places, but Ireland or New Zealand do not, making it more difficult to enter.

How is Working Holiday different from Work and Travel USA?

The Work and Travel of the United States is granted for 4 months only and is mainly intended to cover temporary jobs such as the summer seasons or the sky season. (And that is as long as there are no US residents who can collect them first)

The Work and Holiday Visa will grant you permission for up to one year and you can work in any type of job as long as you meet the requirements of the destination country.

Final words 

As you can see, the Work and Holiday Visa is a wonderful opportunity to live, work and even study abroad without any type of relevant immigration restriction thanks to this bilateral agreement. 

If you are young and in addition to simply touristing, you want to increase your work experience in an international context, improve your level of English, get to know a new culture and get out of your comfort zone, Work and Holiday is a way to facilitate the process migratory.

Read Also: Organizations that Offer Scholarships to Study in the United States

Now that you know what the requirements and some characteristics of the Work and Holiday Visa are, you only have to choose a specific country and check if you meet its requirements… Step by step! 

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *