10 Health Benefits Of Garlic: Uses & Properties
Garlic is one of the most used ingredients in cooking, as it provides a distinctive flavor and smell to our meals. But there are many people who are unaware of the benefits it provides to our health.
Garlic is usually beneficial for everyone, mainly because of its rather striking and delicious flavor, but also because of the benefits of garlic for the body, which are directly related to the health and general well-being of people.
10 Benefits of Garlic Consumption
Under this approach, expert researchers in the field of nutrition have highlighted the main benefits of garlic and that we tell you below:
- It contains allicin ideal for health: sulfur compounds that are formed when a garlic clove is minced, crushed or chewed. This compound is known as allicin and is responsible for the distinctive smell of garlic.
- It has a high nutritional value and few calories: Garlic contains few calories, but it is very rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6 and manganese. In addition, it also contains small amounts of other nutrients.
- Contains Antioxidants: Garlic contains antioxidants that protect against cell damage and aging. It can lower the risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Improves Cholesterol Levels: For those with high cholesterol, garlic supplements can reduce total and / or LDL cholesterol by approximately 10-15%, which reduces the risk of heart problems.
- Lowers blood pressure: high doses of garlic improve blood pressure in people with hypertension.
- Helps fight common illnesses: Garlic supplements help prevent and reduce the severity of common illnesses like the flu or the common cold.
- Helps the body detoxify heavy materials: according to various studies, it significantly reduces lead toxicity and the symptoms associated with it.
- Improves bone health: garlic has beneficial effects on bone health by increasing estrogen levels in females. However, more studies in humans are needed.
- Contributes to improving physical performance: improves physical performance in laboratory animals and people with heart disease. On the contrary, conclusive benefits have not been shown in healthy people.
- Helps to prolong life: this fact is not possible under any magic formula, but by strengthening health, it generates better conditions and greater possibilities of life.
Read Also: Health Benefits of Turmeric: Uses & Properties
Properties Of Garlic
Garlic is an ingredient that provides us with a large number of medicinal properties that are very interesting for our well-being. In fact, more than 2000 active components present in garlic are known to help us maintain a stronger and healthier body. Some of these components are the following:
• Essential oils
• Quercetin (flavonoid with anti-flu, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties)
• Fructosanos (ideal to strengthen our defenses)
• Wide variety of vitamins, especially C and B6
• Very healthy minerals like calcium, manganese, potassium or phosphorus
Thanks to its composition, garlic can help us improve our health, strengthen our defenses and make us stronger and protected against external agents. But to take full advantage of the properties and benefits of garlic it is important to take into account something essential: all the components can be used when the garlic is crushed, therefore, it is not recommended to take a whole clove of garlic, but it is best to you crush it.
Read Also: Health Benefits of Moringa: Uses & Properties
One of the disadvantages when handling or consuming garlic is its strong odor, which is unpleasant for some people, as it is easily impregnated, and is even perceived in the mouth for a not very long time, and can be repulsive in some way, however, this fact is not significant.
In this vein, garlic can cause bad breath, also its strong flavor, especially when raw, it is indigestible for certain individuals, in addition to this, there are people allergic to some of its components, however, when combined with other foods it is fantastic for its delicious taste.