How much does it cost to build a house in the United States?
Building a house is the dream of many people, however, it is a whole process that requires time, money, and information. If you live in the United States and want to know more about what it takes to build there, keep reading this post and get ready to meet that goal for which you have fought so hard.
The price to build a house varies according to many aspects
The main factor to take into account is whether you decide to hire a construction company to handle the entire procedure, or do it on your own and take responsibility for everything.
If your case is the second, you should pay attention to the following aspects:
- Purchase of land: It will depend directly on the state, the location within the city where you want your house, the extension, and all this will make the price go up or down.
- House plans: Without this resource you will not be able to advance, so you will have to pay a specialized professional, such as an architect, to be in charge of preparing the project, and the cost for this service will be in relation to the complexity of the work.
- Feasibility of services: If the lot you acquired comes with the availability of services included, perfect, because otherwise you will have to hire personnel to be in charge of the construction of a septic tank, the connection to the sewage system and others.
- Permit management: You will also have to process permits at your local town hall, which have costs according to where you are.
- Construction materials and labor: According to the desired size for your house, the costs of materials and hiring of masons will increase or decrease.
Read Also: How To Have A Good Credit Score In The USA
As you can see, there are many factors that influence the price of a house, and each of them varies according to the conditions that are available. But in general, you could say that on average, a modest custom home could be worth at least $200,000. Almost twice as much as a standard home.
Top 3 home construction companies in the USA
Based on the above, it could be said that the best option to build a home is by hiring a construction company, which is in charge of everything that this activity entails and helps you minimize costs.
For this reason, some of the most important and recognized construction companies in the United States are mentioned here.
- R. Horton: It is considered by Builder Magazine as one of the largest construction corporations in the USA. Well, since 1978, it has been providing homes to families and individuals from more than 28 states in the country. To see their services check their website.
- Pulte homes: This company offers houses in 27 US states, which are at the forefront of the latest market trends. On its website you will find the catalog of properties that this company offers its clients.
- Lennar Corporation: It has offices in Miami and offers furniture projects in 17 states. This construction company specializes in the elaboration of retirement homes at very affordable prices. To learn more about their projects, click here.
What permits do you need to build a house in the US?
The construction permit is the document by which the Permits and Inspections Board or the Construction and Zoning Board authorize the start of the work. This must be processed for new constructions and also for other cases, such as the following:
- Construction of new rooms
- Carrying out major renovations
- Plumbing and electrical fixes
To manage it, you need the plans and fill out a series of forms supplied by said boards or departments.
Read Also: 5 Most Beautiful Cities in USA -[America’s Most Beautiful Cities]
Preliminary steps to proceed with the construction of a house in the United States
Having the land, the plans, and the feasibility of services up to date is all that is needed to start construction, after that come the following steps:
- Adaptation of the land and foundations : in this phase, all elements such as stones, vegetation or debris that hinder the construction of the house must be removed. And immediately afterwards, the hole is dug in the event that the property is going to have a basement, the septic tank is built, and the bases are made and forged.
- Heavy work: Construction of the walls, ceilings and floors, with wood cladding.
- Installation of electricity, plumbing and HVAC: With the skeleton of the house done, we proceed to assemble the respective services, the cladding and the roof.
- Seal interiors: Or better known as insulation, it is the way to cover all those cracks in walls, ceilings and floors.
- Interior finishes: Concerns the installation of plaster sheets, tiles, ceramics, paint, bathrooms, doors, windows, shelves, fireplaces, decoration, cabinets, and preparation of access roads to the house.
- Exterior finishes: It has to do with the arrangement of gardens, common areas that face the outside, painting the facade and back of the house, finishing details of the roof, etc.
Read Also: 5 Successful Business Models in the United States
In this way, a house is built. It is necessary to clarify that in all stages or in the vast majority of them there will be supervision of the permit board. So it is best to do things legally so that your dream of having a house in the USA becomes a reality.